We've all been there. The 2pm slump. Do you ever eat a salad and realize an hour later it just didn't fill you up the way you thought it would? I'm not talking about shots of espresso...I used to be that girl who drank her coffee in the morning and afternoon. For years, I seriously struggled with effects of afternoon caffeine. My high would not only hurt my adrenals but also caused major mood swings. Yikes.
Fortunately, I've come to the understanding of how coffee affects my body and at what times of day. I know that if I'm looking for some energy, afternoon coffee is going to have unwanted consequences (i.e. irritability, feeling strung out, poor quality of sleep the night of, dehydration, anxiety, stress). The solution for my busy, busy life when I need fuel on the go: yummy, sweet, sustainable energy bites that you can just pop into your mouth.
These Coconut Almond Oat Bites were something I created when I was feeling The Afternoon Slump and needed an energy boost before dinner. I was craving something sweet and a little salty. At the last minute I added in some chia seeds because I wanted to feel fuller longer (hint: chia seeds expand when they are in contact with fluid, which will help your tummy feel fuller!) Here's the recipe:
- 1 cup organic oats (old fashioned rolled)
- 1/4 cup raw organic almond butter
- 2 tbsp raw organic local honey
- about 10 dates, pitted and chopped or blended in food processor
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- dash of cinnamon (optional, helps regulate blood sugar levels & tastes so good)
- dash of salt to taste (depending on whether you get salted almond butter or not, you may want to leave this out)
Mix everything together in a large bowl and roll into bite sized balls. I like to put mine in a plastic bag and save them in the freezer so that whenever I need some energy and sweetness, I'll throw some in my bag or leave them in the fridge at work for a quick snack.